Wednesday, August 23, 2017

WHAT I WISH I SHOULD HAVE DONE IN MY 20s


This month, I turned 30.
Part of me feels like I'm finally an adult and part of me misses young me.

And while I was taking a bath last night, I was thinking what I wish I should have done in my 20s.
I don't know how many of you are in 20s, but if you are, I hope you learn from my mistakes.
And if you are older than 30, please share what you should have done! I would love to know!

1.  Travel! Travel!

      Duh! I think it's on lots of people's "should-have-done-list". But seriously.
When I was in my 20s, I thought I don't have enough money or I can't take long enough break from work.  But now, when I think back, I could have done something to make more money like selling on ebay or etsy...or whatever. And I had plenty of unused paid holidays!  All the thinking "I can't take long enough break" was...me being scared of my boss getting mad at me.  But in a bigger companies like I was working in, people get transferred every 3-4 years, so my boss wouldn't be my boss 5 years later. So, I don't know what I was scared of.

2. Start a new hobby

     I don't have a hobby. It's sad. It really is.  And I wish I had one.
I tried golf, fishing, cooking, DIYing, even knitting.  Nothing really excited me.
Maybe now, I have been blogging on my other Japanese blog nearly 5 months, blogging could be a hobby, but I don't know.  I wish I had something excites me to do.

3. Take Care of Yourself

    When I was in my 20s, I really didn't take care of myself like I should have.
I didn't make a habit of exercising regularly or eat healthier foods, or putting on sunscreen every time I went outside.
And be aware. Aging skin hits you out of nowhere!
I was looking at selfie of me and my son earlier today and I was shocked I look so old!
Of course smiling with 1 year old's glowing skin will make anyone look old, but man...I looked really old in that picture.
Maybe, just...maybe, if I was putting an eye-cream every night, or putting on sunscreen every day, it could have been different. I don't know.


4. Wear Whatever You Want

    I am still struggling with body image.  I am 5'1 and about 99 lbs.  In number, I don't seem THAT fat.  But I have very big thigh.  And that's bothering me over 20 years!  My body image issue even didn't come from models of the magazines.  I grew up and Japan and most of my friends are SKINNY, like supermodel skinny.  So, I'd been comparing myself to them most of my life.  So I've never worn bikini in my life.  I just don't have a courage to, and I didn't wanna be in a picture with them in bikinis, I thought everyone would laugh at me.
And I really wish I overcame that fear of wearing whatever I wanted.
Yes, I still can do that, but earlier you learn this, you get to enjoy fashion longer. ;)


5. Learn New Language(s)

That's true it's never too late to learn new thing at any age, but learning in older age is harder.
I speak Japanese and English and learned Spanish in college.  Oh how hard it was to learn Spanish!
Even though I passed the class, I don't even remember fraction of it! SAD.   So can you imagine trying to learn new language at 30s? It's manageable, but way harder and you have to work harder.

I think I could make longer list, but I should stop by now :D
That's my top 5 regrets. (believe me, I have more!)
You cannot stay young forever and there is 100% chance you will die one day.
So let's live our lives to its fullest ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment